Sunday, February 10, 2008

Speculation...

I have recently had a revelation that may explain my recent troubles with sticking to my plan...

I've known, for the past several years, that I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. But, just this week, it popped into my head (thanks to a comment from a family member), that maybe taking Vitamin D supplements would help with the symptoms:



  • irritability

  • mild depression

  • fatigue

  • inability to sleep through the night

  • social withdrawl

  • cravings for sweets & carbs (and resulting weight gain)

  • lack of energy

  • loss of interest in normal activities




All of these are triggered by long periods without sunshine.

For me, I start to dip into this "moodiness" by about late November, early December, and it lasts until Spring. The intensity varies. But, come Spring, and the increase in sunny days, my mood shoots right through the roof!

So, the other day, I bought some Vitamin D supplements, and I'm going to see if it does anything for me. I can't afford the "light therapy" (via "Light Boxes"), so the supplements are my next-best-thing.

I am trying this because, for the past little while, I've suffered from mild depression, cravings for the sweets & carbs, major fatigue, etc... basically, all of the "symptoms" listed above. :-? And, it's interfering with my "get healthy" plans. I hardly exercised this past week, and I didn't eat proper or drink my water. Therefore, I put back on 2 of the pounds I'd lost. Not fun. I've even been to the point where I've been near-tears throughout my workouts! :-(

Anyway. I'll keep you posted on how this works out for me. I'm really praying it works, 'cause I'm tired of being "blue" just because of the weather! :-? I want my energy back. This S.A.D. has really been interfering with my life, lately (and not just in relation to my weight-loss ~ it also has affected my housework, and such), so I really need it "taken care of".

No comments: